View mobile site
Posted: July 19, 2018
Michelle Ewing, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Firefighters in Texas battled blazes outside an Austin factory twice last week after cardboard boxes of tortilla chips reportedly "spontaneously combusted."
>> Read more trending news
According to the Austin Fire Department, the first fire broke out last Thursday after factory workers tried "a new way to handle the waste from the chips that, suffice it to say, didn't work out so well." As crews fought the blaze, more cases erupted in flames, officials said. Firefighters quickly put out the flames, the Austin American-Statesman reported.
But their work wasn't done. On Sunday, several other boxes ignited, prompting firefighters to "[drown] all of the other crates that had yet to burn, thereby eliminating the risk completely," officials said.
Read more here and here.
>> See the Facebook post here
Tortilla chips are big business around these parts. We take them seriously, as they are responsible for holding all...Posted by Austin Fire Department on Wednesday, July 18, 2018
Tortilla chips are big business around these parts. We take them seriously, as they are responsible for holding all...
Field Training Officers, Austin Fire Department
There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts.
Sign in or Register.
Sign up below to be added to our mailing list for the latest news, updates, access to exclusive contents, and more!
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!
Learn about careers at Cox Media Group
Portions of Content Provided by Rovi Corporation. © 2018 Rovi Corporation