Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!
RIO RANCHO, N.M. -
A town in New Mexico was left in the dark Wednesday night after a raccoon met a fiery fate with a power station transformer.
Those who live near the facility in Rio Rancho told KOB they saw, heard and felt the transformer explosion. Residents reported seeing flames, sparks and a blinding light, along with feeling their houses shaking.
>> Read more trending news
Approximately 9,600 customers lost power, the Public Service Company of New Mexico told KOB.
A PNM spokesperson told KOB the utility will evaluate whether it needs to add extra protection to the fenced area around the power station to prevent a recurrence of wildlife interference with equipment.
You may be offline. Please check your connection and try again using the Retry button.